Friday, February 6, 2009

Next Assignment

After a fair share of road blocks, I got my next assignment in Tacoma, WA. I am super excited to be moving to a new progressive area and finally getting to see Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. We are stopping in Vegas, San Francisco (to confiscate a Donkey and some meatless chicken), and Portland on the way up.

The last few weeks have been more relaxed than we're used to. We went camping one weekend by the Salton Sea. It was the first time I'd slept in a tent since the AT. It ended up being stinky and the image of a decapitated pelican haunted me for much of the trip, but it was nice to be outside and build a successful fire to roast marshmallows on.

Last weekend we conquered Sara's crack...which is a thin winding passage through high walls of rock. At some points there wasn't enough room to squeeze past someone else. After walking a few wobbly planks, scrambling over boulders, and crab crawling backwards up a 7 foot slide of rock, we made it to the other side. With all of its obstacles, this was one of the most challenging hikes I've ever done. I'll put some pictures up later.

Our Campfire!


The Salton Sea


To put it in perspective, the top of this slide was above my head.


Suck it in!

No comments: